Friday, August 22, 2008

#4 Teach Me to Walk O' Lord

"Let me hear Your lovingkindness in the morning; For I trust in You; Teach me the way in which I should walk; For to You I lift up my soul."
Psalm 143:8

I know that almost none of us can remember the very steps that we took as budding toddlers. If you are like me, you probably have trouble remembering what you ate yesterday not to mention the fledgling years of life. But I wonder how many of us can take our minds back to when we first began to walk with the Lord? For some of us that is not too long ago. For others we may have to pull down a few mental cobwebs to dig back that far. I think back to my own spiritual beginning and it makes me smile to see how much the Lord has cleaned me up. Am I perfect? Not by a long stretch. But day by day I keep putting one foot in front of the other in the spiritual sense. I trip and fall from time to time, but my Jesus is always there ready, willing and able to lift me up and carry me through one more day.

So where are you this evening? Is your walk moving along or do you find yourself crawling along this Christian pathway? Only you and the Lord can fully answer that, but no matter where you may find yourself this evening I want to give you hope. Hope that Christ will never leave you or forsake you. He has promised to always be with us and I fully believe Him. I want you take hope in knowing that no matter how many times you may fall down Christ is there to pick you back up. However, some of us think that Jesus gets tired of us messing things up and eventually He turns away from us. Sure, Jesus wants us to turn away from our sin and to put Him first in our lives, but Christian growth is a process. There are some things that we have to wrestle with to overcome. This works to mold our character into that lovely reflection of what God desires us to be. In Revelation 3 Jesus tells the church in Laodicea to buy of Him gold tried in the fire. That is symbolic language that speaks of allowing Christ to mold us into His image more and more. It is language that tells us that Christ longs to give us total victory in our lives. In our key text from Psalm 143 we read how the psalmist cries out to God to teach him how to walk. What will it take in your life to come to that same point? Do you have a desire to walk in the ways of righteousness? If you answered "yes" to either question then I encourage you bow your head and seek the Lord in prayer and life up your soul to Him who holds the universe in His hand. I too long to walk closer to the Lord, and by His saving grace may we all find our way down that straight and narrow path that finds it end in the loving arms of our Lord Jesus. Have a very blessed Sabbath my friends.

Dear Father,
We come to you in this moment to give You praise and to offer You thanks for the awesome ways in which You work in our lives. Please forgive us where we have failed You dear Lord. Please take away any dark blot that stains our character, and wash us each one white as snow. We long to walk in a manner worthy of the calling that You have given us, but we cannot do it alone we need You help Lord. We want to be close to You in all that we do so please empty us of our selves and fill us with the Holy Spirit I pray. It is in the name of the One who died for us, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment