Friday, September 4, 2009

#46 Little Things

Matthew 6:33 "But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you…”

One day I was needing to tow my small utility trailer to a church function. My family and I were invited to attend the International Pathfinder Camporee in Oshkosh, Wisconsin and I needed our little trailer in order to bring all of our gear. I packed everything into the trailer, covered it with a tarp, and we headed off to Wisconsin. I needed to make a short pit stop in town before we left and when we went by the store I decided that I should check the trailer and make sure all the connections were still in good order.


When I went back to check everything I looked down on the bumper of my Jeep. There on the small, black tread area of the bumper laid my keys that unlock the padlock and the drawbar for the hitch. The two keys are both very small and easy to misplace. I was amazed to look down and discover that I had left them lying on the bumper when I hitched up the trailer. I was even more amazed that they had made the ride 15 miles to town and seemingly had not moved an inch. I immediately lifted up praises to God for His greatness. You see, I am convinced that my guardian angel either held his hand on those keys or that he carried them the 15 miles to town and laid them on my bumper. Either way, God took care of something very small but it was something that made life a bit easier for me.


When I consider those keys it serves to remind me that God is concerned with aspect of my life. Not only does He take care of the big stuff, He cares for even the smallest of cares. I am of the opinion that too often we only “bother” God with the big things that life throws our way, but we try to take care of and deal with what we consider to be of little consequence. Too often we only want to use God as a spare tire or first aid kit, when in reality we should surrender every aspect of our lives to Him. Does this mean that we sit around and expect God to do everything for us? No, rather we recognize that it is only by God’s grace that we are able to do anything. It basically boils down to total dependence on God, and this dependence begins with our spirituality. When we understand that it is only by God’s grace that we can be saved through faith then we can lean on the everlasting arms of Jesus.


I would challenge each of you to examine your life and attempt to discover those areas where you are not leaning fully on Jesus. It is not a sign of weakness to depend on God. In fact it is just the opposite. It takes a lot of courage and strength to let go and let God. Why not pray for that courage and strength just now?

Dear Father God,

As we come to You in prayer we give You thanks, glory, and honor. Please forgive us where we have failed You, and please cleanse our hearts of evil just now. Lord, I thank You for caring about the little things of life, and I pray that You will give each of us the courage to surrender everything to You that You may have total control. We pray this now in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment